THIS STATUE was discovered in 1622 in the Campus Martius in Rome. It had probably been part of the Mars temple that once stood there. It made its way into the collection of Cardinal Ludovico Ludovisi and is hence known as the Ludovisi Ares. Bernini did some restorations: refinishing the surface, adding the missing right foot and probably the Eros, which is not present in an early bronze replica by Gianfrancesco Susini.
The statue is thought to be a second century AD copy of a fourth century BC original, possibly by Scopas or Lysippus.