Liotard painted this picture, known as A Lady pouring Chocolate or La Chocolatière, around 1744 in Vienna. He exhibited it in Paris in 1752 and sold it in London in 1773. It is now in the National Gallery. Unlike many other pictures of this artist it is not pastel, but oil on canvas.
Chocolate entered Vienna only in 1711, when Emperor Charles IV moved his court there from Madrid, nearly a hundred years after Anne of Austria brought it to Paris.